Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Extra Time!

We did PE this morning and went to the library. I packed some sandwiches with us and after a long and busy morning, we had a picnic in the park. Once in a while, I like taking my kids to picnic. We don't think about school and just enjoy being outside. After this wonderful lunch outside, we went and picked up the books I requested from the library. We went home happy.
Now what do we do when we get home? The kids went to their room and just relax for a little bit. I on the other hand heads to my kitchen and decided to bake. An hour later, here is what I made:




I made some Biscotti for us to snack on. After this, we sat on the couch read some more chapters of Don Quixote and just enjoy our Wednesday afternoon. Sometimes, I just need to relax a little bit. Too much school time makes me a dull and irritable mommy. Days like this I look forward to.
I also want to share a quotation I just read the other day that inspired me and thought it was a good one:

"I've come to the frightening conclusioin that I am the decisive element in the classroom. It's my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a child's life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a child humanized or de-humanized."Dr. Haim Ginott

Just by reading this, it reminds me of the power I have as a teacher in my own home. It is in my hands how our day will play out. And today, I decided to make it fun and relaxing day for all of us. Give my kids an extra time to enjoy a cookie.